Cyclists face numerous risks on the road, including motorists, debris on the street, pedestrians, and construction zones.
If you sustained injuries in a bicycle accident because of another party’s negligence, you have legal rights in California.
However, pursuing a claim for damages in a bicycle accident can be complicated. It would be best to have an experienced bicycle accident attorney in Orange County representing you.
Attorney Mark Robinson has nearly 50 years of litigation experience, with hundreds of successful trials. He is well-versed in how to build a strong case and help you pursue compensation for all liable parties.
You should hire an Orange County bicycle accident attorney who isn’t afraid to take a case to trial or stand up to any defendant, whether a motorist or a large corporation.
Why Should You Hire Mark Robinson, Esq. as Your Orange County Bicycle Accident Lawyer
You have no shortage of personal injury lawyers to choose from in Orange County, so you might be wondering why you should hire Mr. Robinson.
The following qualities set him apart from other bicycle accident lawyers:
- He has extensive trial experience, working on cases that resulted in some of California’s most significant verdicts in history.
- He will work diligently to fight for the maximum compensation possible, even taking your case to trial.
- He has the skills and the necessary resources to take your case to trial, regardless of how complicated your case is.
- You won’t be responsible for any court costs or legal fees unless Mr. Robinson collects compensation on your behalf.
When narrowing down choices for a bicycle accident attorney in Orange County, consider the lawyer’s experience. Bicycle cases are not the same as other personal injury cases. Hire a California injury lawyer who has successfully resolved bicycle accident claims for other clients.
Determining Liability in a Bicycle Accident Claim
Before collecting any compensation for injuries in a bicycle accident, you must prove liability against the defendants. What factors caused the accident and led to your injuries? Sometimes, a collision involves multiple defendants.
For example, overgrown foliage blocked a stop sign. The driver approaching the corner could not see the stop sign and then struck your bicycle. In this example, the city could also be a defendant.
Most bicycle accidents result from a driver’s negligence or inattention.
Some of the most common causes we see include:
- Distracted driving, e.g., talking on the phone, texting, eating, looking at the GPS;
- Failure to obey traffic laws, such as stopping at a stop sign, speeding, and aggressive driving;
- Driving under the influence of drugs or alcohol;
- Not checking blind spots, backing out of a parking spot or driveway without looking or opening a car door without looking for bicyclists; and
- Road hazard or debris, adverse weather, or something blocking signage.
While drivers are primarily responsible for a bicycle accident, it doesn’t mean a bicyclist can’t be at fault. California is a pure comparative negligence state. That means you could still receive some compensation even if you share some responsibility for the accident.
However, your settlement or court verdict would be reduced by your percentage of fault. So, if you are 20% at fault, you could still collect 80% of your damages. That is why hiring an experienced bicycle accident lawyer in Orange County is essential.
Important Bicycle Laws in California
Bicyclists must generally obey the rules of the road, but there are also special rules that apply specifically to anyone riding a bicycle.
Some of the most important ones include:
- Always use the bike lane when there is one present unless you need to turn left or if the bike lane is too hazardous to facilitate safe travel.
- Bicyclists must ride with traffic, going the same direction as vehicles. There are some exceptions — such as a one-way street or turning left.
- Bicycles are not allowed on the highway or a freeway.
- Bicycles cannot hitch a ride with a car under any circumstances.
- Each city or county determines the legal right to ride your bicycle on the sidewalk as there is no statewide law.
- Anyone under 18 years old must wear a bicycle helmet that meets specific requirements.
The defendant’s insurance company will do its best to find as much fault against you as possible. Mark Robinson, Esq. knows the tactics insurance companies use to reduce their exposure.
What About Electric Bicycles?
Electric bicycles have to follow similar road rules as a bicycle rider does. However, e-bikes are broken down into three different classifications.
Type 1 and 2 electric bikes are very similar to standard pedal bicycles.
However, Type 3 e-bikes could present safety hazards, so they have some different rules.
If you were riding an electric bike at the time of the accident, be sure to hire an Orange County electric bicycle accident lawyer.
How an Orange County Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Assist You
California doesn’t require you to hire an attorney when pursuing a personal injury claim. However, having a legal advocate can mean the difference between getting the compensation you deserve and settling for less than your case is worth.
When you hire attorney Mark Robinson as your bicycle accident attorney in Orange County, he will handle all the complex legal issues of your case so you can concentrate on recovering from your injuries.
Some of the ways we will assist you include:
- Conducting a thorough investigation and gathering all evidence that will help build a stronger case;
- Helping you find trusted medical professionals who can treat your injuries;
- Handling all communications with the defendant’s insurance company;
- Negotiating a fair settlement on your behalf;
- Filing a lawsuit if your case cannot resolve through pre-litigation settlement talks; and
- Preparing your case for trial if necessary.
In claims involving severe to catastrophic injuries, it may be necessary for your attorney to hire industry experts. You may need someone who can complete an accident reconstruction report indicating how the collision occurred. You may also need someone who can speak to what your future medical expenses, disability, disfigurement, etc., could be worth.
Contact Mark Robinson, Esq. Today to Schedule a Free Consultation
If you need assistance following injuries sustained in a bicycle accident, contact attorney Mark Robinson today. We understand what a stressful time this is for you and your family.
Hire a bicycle accident lawyer in Orange County who will prioritize your case and has the necessary skills to fight for maximum compensation. Mr. Robinson has secured multi-million verdicts against global corporations and auto manufacturers. He knows how to preserve the required evidence and documentation to protect your rights.